Kinnemaniac

Opinion

The 10 ‘Best’ Movies of 2010 I Didn’t See

December 22, 2010 by Simon Kinnear in Opinion with 6 Comments

In early November, I was asked at very short notice to provide my top 10 films of the year,* meaning I had to cobble together a list in a hurry with no time to catch up on some of 2010’s more acclaimed UK releases.

So here’s the top 10 of films from Total Film’s list that I haven’t seen, and feel vaguely guilty about not having seen.  My loss.

1. A Prophet
2. Kick-Ass [Hugely entertaining: I liked this much more than I expected.]
3. Monsters [Hugely convincing, and a possible game-changer if other filmmakers follow its example.]
4. A Single Man
5. The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo
6.Up In The Air [Very good, but not top 10 material]
7. The Kids Are All Right [Likeable, but not terribly convincing.]
8. Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans
9. Scott Pilgrim Vs the World [Sorry, not a fan]
10. Winter’s Bone [Amazing: would’ve made top 5 for sure]

* Out of interest, since I compiled that list, I’ve seen several films that might have made my top 10: Black Dynamite, Another Year and, at a push, Catfish.  But definitely, categorically, not Sex and the City 2.

Related posts

Tagged

Spread the word

6 Comments

1. Byron the afro-filmviewerDec 22, 2010 at 2:31 pmReply

I've seen all but one of those movies and enjoyed them quite a bit. Very surprised you didn't see Kick-ass

2. myfilmviewsDec 22, 2010 at 2:37 pmReply

Of those I only haven't seen A Single Man and The Kids Are All right

3. DavidDec 22, 2010 at 3:34 pmReply

How can you objectively select your 10 favourite/top films of the year when there's still 2 months of the year to go? I find myself getting increasingly frustrated by magazines/websites/people publishing best of year lists anywhere more than 2 weeks before the end of the year.

4 of those films will be in my top 10 of the year (Monsters, A Single Man, Kick-Ass & Scott Pilgrim), when I get to figuring it out next week.

4. Simon KinnearDec 22, 2010 at 3:45 pmReply

Is selecting favourite films meant to be 'objective?' In many cases, the reason why I hadn't got around to seeing those films, is that I couldn't be arsed. Which is already a black mark against their chances of ending up amongst my favourites 😉

As for the early cut-off date, that's down to print deadlines, unfortunately. Most London-based journos stood a good chance of seeing the bulk of the year's films by then. Alas, for an out-of-town freelancer with little free time to see stuff 'for fun,' it's not so easy. So I worked with what I had.

5. Torrent DownloadDec 22, 2010 at 8:17 pmReply

Very surprised you didn't see Kick-ass.. 🙂

6. Danny CarrDec 29, 2010 at 12:10 amReply

Winter's Bone and A Single Man are both utterly brilliant movies you really shouldn't miss. Bad Lieutenant is a massively entertaining curiosity.

I don't get why people like Kick-Ass so much.

What do you think? Please leave a reply